Hello fellow beloved Rwandan(s), your embassy in Washington DC, more than ever before, is commited to bring to you necessary information partaining to applying for a new or renewing a passport. We are proud to be Rwandans serving our country men far away from home. In this respect, as Rwanda heads for vision 2020, our Gaciro can not be fully realized unless we all do what is right. Help us to serve you better. Take a moment and read through the requirements carefully and make sure your file is complete before mailing it to the Embassy.
I. NEW/RENEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS
STEP 1: Click here to Download one Passport Application Form and legibly complete and sign it.
STEP 2: A copy of old passport or birth certificate or, a letter from either IBUKA or local authorities in Rwanda;
STEP 3: Provide two colored passport photos with white background.
STEP 4: A request letter addressed to Director General of immigration and emigration signed by the applicant him/herself.
STEP 5: A copy of a valid USA visa; ie green card, DS visa or any other type of visa.
STEP 6: Included $100 money order OR cashier check OR Bank draft.
STEP 7: In case of a lost passport, a police report is required. Note that there is a fine fee in the amount of
STEP 8: A self-addressed pre-paid return envelope, preferably from FEDEX or UPS for safety and mail tracking purposes.
STEP 9. SEND YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE (step 1-8) TO OUR EMBASSY IN WASHINGTON DC FOR PROCESSING:
1714 New Hampshire Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009-2502
II. EMERGENCY TRAVEL DOCUMENT
The embassy of Rwanda issues a one way emergency travel document to Rwandans who urgently need to travel and have limited time to go through the normal procedure to acquire a passport. This document allows only one way to Rwanda. Its not valid for any visa of any kind from any embassy/high commission or country. Holders of the emergency document must use it only for transit purposes, traveling from US connecting from plane to another but not making any stop-overs at all along the way.The last destination on the air ticket (itinerary) must be Rwanda. Applicants must take this seriously to avoid disappointing incoveniences. Qualifying applicants are required to submit the following to obtain the same document:
- Provide Proof of Rwandan citizenship
- Provide Proof of US, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil... Residence (visa)
- Proof of emergency on which the application is based
- A request letter addressed to the Ambassador
- Two passport photos with a white background and all face and ears clearly visible
- $30 money order, cashier check or bank draft payable to the embassy of Rwanda
- Include a self-addressed pre-paid return envelope, preferably from FEDEX or UPS for tracking and safety purposes.
- We suggest that FEDEX OR UPS be used in the mailing process of documents. Where Post office is preferred, please allow mail trackable facility for safe and effective service delivery.